3rd Regional Green Tourism Summit: Call for Papers and RegistrationFrom 8:00 am to 4:00 pm
- +254 705283658/ 718 127557 Call
- email@example.comfirstname.lastname@example.org Email
3rd Annual Green Tourism Summit – 2017
“Modelling a Sustainable Future for Tourism in East Africa”
Theme: Sustainable Tourism & Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs):New Challenge or Opportunity?
The Annual Green Tourism Summit, convened and hosted by Sustainable Travel & Tourism Agenda (STTA Kenya), will take place in Nairobi, Kenya from 13th, 14th & 15th June 2017. The Summit is a multi-stakeholder platform to inspire action towards a sustainable tourism sector in East Africa.
The 2017 Summit, is inspired by declaration of 2017 as International Year of Sustainable Tourism for Development #IYSTD #IY2017, the 2030 Sustainable Development Goals, the UN 17 SDGs that need urgent attention and the ranking of the East Africa states in the Global SDG Index.
The East Africa Community states are currently ranked between #120-# 128 in the Global SDG Index. For all these states, tourism is a key economic driver. Therefore, tourism must engage and get involved in the SDG dialogue as it provides an opportunity to improve the regions ranking.
“We need more than 120 reasons/ actions / solutions to move the region upward in SDG index ranking. Any formidable response from tourism will take concerted efforts and deliberate commitments by all, to make changes”, says Judy Kepher-Gona, Summit Host and Founder of STTA Kenya.
The purpose of 2017 Green Tourism Summit is to identify key actions that will put tourism on track to meet the agenda of the SDGs. In order to do this, the Summit will seek to answer the following key questions:
- What can tourism contribute towards realising the 5ps of SDGS?
- How can achievements be accelerated and challenges/ risks minimised or mitigated?
- Who needs to be involved?
Keynotes, Sessions, and Sub-Topics
- Emerging Media & the sustainability agenda
- Inclusive & Sustainable economic growth in a circular economy
- Resource efficiency, environmental protection & Climate change
- Promoting cultural values, diversity and heritage through tourism
SDG 15- Winning models in protection, restoration, & Sustainable use of Terrestrial Ecosystems
- Protected areas
- Community protected areas
SDG 12- Ensuring sustainable consumption & Production
- The significance of the Slow Food concept in ensuring sustainable consumption
- Managing the supply chain in
- Using alternative products
- Cleaner production mechanisms
SDG 4 -Promoting Inclusive, Equitable, Quality Education & Lifelong Learning Opportunities
- Skillfull workforce and tourism growth
- Models for youth engagement through training
- Increasing employability opportunities for local youth in tourism destinations
- Increasing employability opportunities for people with disabilities
SDG 8 – Conserve & Sustainably use Oceans, Seas & Marine resources
- Repurposing & Up-cycling models for ocean advocacy
- Winning models of managing ocean-based livelihoods
- Sustainable ocean sports
SDG 9 – Foster Innovation
- Innovations in energy, waste, water management
SDG 13- Take urgent action to combat climate change and its impacts
Call for Papers and Registration
Call for Papers and Registration for the 3rd Regional Green Tourism Summit is now open. To submit your papers or register as a speaker for the summit contact Judy or Job on +254 705 283 658/718 127 557 or send an email to email@example.com / firstname.lastname@example.org. Please read the speaker guidelines
Delegates can register directly from our website.
In case you did not attend the 2nd Regional Green Tourism Summit Report held in 2016, you can find a copy of the report from this link
*Payment by installments is also accepted
Registration and Payment Deadline is 1st June 2017
What would you like to be included in the East Africa Sustainable Tourism Development Charter by STTA? Participate in its development by submitting your views and opinions here or send us an email to email@example.comfirstname.lastname@example.org.