- March 12, 2014
- Posted by: STTAKENYA
- Category: Announcements
Sustainable Travel & Tourism Agenda (STTA), a Kenyan founded sustainable tourism organisation, in celebration of 2017, the International Year of Sustainable Tourism for Development (IYSTD2017), has designed a campaign to get student voices heard. The campaign, dubbed IY17studentvoicesKe kicked off on 25th February 2017 and will continue until October 2017.
The campaign, delivered through free inter-varsity seminars, will be held each month with a different topic being tackled at each seminar. During the seminars, a moderator gives opening remarks on the topic of the day. This is followed by an interactive session where students engage with each other and the moderator through commentaries, views, questions, and recommendations. The sessions conclude with a set of recommendations on how to take the sustainable tourism agenda forward. Students are then invited to summarise the days deliberations in 500-600 words. The best submissions receive a sponsorship the attend the Regional Green Tourism Summit, hosted by STTA, in Nairobi, June 13th-15th.
On 25th February, the discussions centred around what sustainable tourism will look like n a decade. Among other observations, the students had the following recommendations:
- Bad governance and leadership is a threat to sustainable tourism and SDGs
- Relevant college curriculums will play a key role in promoting sustainable tourism
- Tourism curriculum must include skills to promote sustainable tourism
- Product diversification is important to achieve ideals of sustainable tourism
- Tourism linkages should not be optional. Investors should be made to commit to minimum linkages
- Ethical labour practices are key for development in regions that depend on tourism
- skill development for host communities to engage in tourism is key for sustainable tourism
- Local-hood is important in promoting sustainable tourism
At the ned of all the seminars @STTAKenya will publish a special issue of student voices in Sustainable Tourism.
Add your voice to #IY17studentvoicesKe by following @STTAKenya on Facebook and Twiiter and LinkedIn